Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Blog #3

A Vision of Students Today
This video captured some of my college experience. I have only attended the University of South Alabama, but I have had about 4 classes that were in a room with more than one hundred and fifty students. The professors did know my name for one reason or another, but I am pretty sure they did not know every students' name.

Another thing I can relate to in this video is the purchasing of textbooks and not using them a lot if at all. I am lucky that I do not pay for my textbooks or my tuition, because of my scholarship. Although, I am lucky to have this scholarship, I still have to get financial aid to financially take care of myself and my children.

If you would like to see this video for yourself please follow this link. Michael Wesch's video.

It's Not About the Technology

I totally agree with several points Ms. Kelly Hines makes in her blog post. The main thing that stuck out to me was teachers needing to be learners as well. If teachers are not willing to learn how to reach their students how are they really going to be able to teach them. There are several ways to teach someone something with out just reading a book and answering questions. There are so many different technologies out there and our teachers need to learn about them so we can teach our students the future.

The other point that sticks out to me was that learning and teaching are not the same thing. Although, a teacher gets up and teaches a lesson does not mean the student understands it. Teachers need to make sure every student understands what was being taught. If every student does not understand what is being taught, they need to teach it a different way. That is what Ms. Hines was talking about and I totally agree with her.

If you would like to read her post please use this link. Kelly Hines's blog

Is It Okay To Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?

I happen to agree with Mr. Fisch on this post. The fact is teachers need to be technologically literate and that principals need to hold them responsible for this. I am not saying they need to know all there is to know about technology, but they do need to know some basic skills. They also need to be willing to learn from their students.

Although, we (teachers and future teachers) need to teach our students the basics. We also need to be willing to learn from them. Students know a lot about computers and everyone will benefit from learning from each other. If you would like to read Karl Fisch's blog. Please feel free to follow this link.

Gary's Social Media Count

I remember when I saw this last semester I was really shocked at how fast different sites were changing. In a matter of seconds the numbers were going up. As I watched it again, I am still just as shocked. I am not sure why, because I know technology is our future. It is just unreal to me.

If you would like to see Gary's media count. I highly recommend it!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Alissa!
    I like your responses on these posts and videos. I think you and I took the same stand point on all of them. I definitely agree with you on the class sizes and the large amounts of money spent on unused books. I have been in similar situations here at South.

    That is awesome that you have a scholarship!! Keep up all the hard work, I am sure you will make a great teacher!
    Laura Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you incorporated the links into your post.

    Dr. Wesch's post was about a lot more than big classes and costly textbooks. What other issues were raised in this film?

    Yes, we must all be learners. But are teachers ever responsible for the learning accomplished by our students? In some ways, yes. We have to establish an environment in which learning can occur. That means having the best possible tools at our disposal, helping students see the importance of their learning, and proving guidance, encouragement and feedback. But ultimately it is up to the student. You were late with this assignment. Is that my fault? No. But I am delighted that you have completed it! However, I have six students in EDM310 that have not done one post other than their initial post. The semester will be 27% complete at midnight Sunday. Is it my responsibility to make sure that everyone does everything they are supposed to do? I do my best, but if the students don't respond to me, what conclusions can we reach as to responsibility? These are difficult questions that you will face as a teacher. Don't expect 100% success or beat yourself up if it doesn't happen.

    ReplyDelete